Monday, October 6, 2014

New York, New York


    Yesterday we ended the latest installment of life with my alien as I prepped to face my biggest battle yet to date ... the dreaded word surgery. 

    That particular word used in every language is enough to evoke thoughts of nervousness and uncertainty. Throw in the fact that most people with crohns fight to avoid surgery at all costs and it's a stressful combination. 

    Luckily, I am located within a few hours of New York City where some of the best GI Doctors on the East Coast are located. My local New Jersey GI doctor has been treating me for many years. Unfortunately after this summer's horrible flare, he felt that my case had come to point where surgery was called for and that my particularly difficult case would be best handled by doctors at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

    With recommendations in hand and things moving at a relatively fast pace, I found myself sitting across from a very prestigious GI Doctor in his office on the upper west side of the city two weeks later. 

    Doctor George put me at ease quite quickly. I was amazed at the deftness of his assessment of my case as he reviewed over ten years of medical records with me. For the first time in my life, I felt as if this doctor could see all the pieces of my medical puzzle put together and finally gave me a clear and concise information on my disease. 

    Hearing the words surgery coming from this new doctors mouth was a bit of a disappointment. I had hope that perhaps we could try some new medication but in my heart I knew it had been coming to this. When you have constant pain, like I've had every day, you just know. I also know though, just as this new doctor told me, no matter what pill I take, it is not going to melt away my scar tissue. The only real way to get rid of it is to remove it. 

  So with this confirmation, my newest GI doctor recommended me to two different surgeons. Each he said were people that he worked closely with at Mount Sinai Hospital. He also said that no matter what happened during the surgery, they would each not be surprised by anything that they found or anything that happened. Lastly he told me, that if it was his child, that this is who he would send them to. 

   With these comforting words and recommendations in hand, I was off like the white rabbit with a very important date to keep. Come back tomorrow, when I talk about going to meet with my surgeon. 





2 comments:

  1. You know I'm thinking of you AJ, and I'm nervous and excited about Thursday for you! Please let us know whenever you feel up to it how you did after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Reno !!!
      I truly appreciate it and I absolutely promise to keep everyone up to date.

      Delete